Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Contradiction of Cantankerousness



In times of success, when sorrow was a distant memory, the people of God celebrated. They feasted, danced, sang songs, laughed and smiled till they were too tired to continue the party.

But at their best, God’s people have always been a people of joy, even when their circumstances weighed them down. People who felt the weight of sorrow, nevertheless found a place of optimism within them. People who endured great adversity somehow brought joy into their present circumstances, as they contemplated a future hope. Prisoners song songs and wrote letters urging others to rejoice. “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Paul wrote those words while incarcerated, the prospect of death always before him.

I do not know what I will face today. But if the grace of Christ touches me, I will be a person of joy. A core of optimism will remain within my reach. And he will keep me from the contradiction of cantankerousness. With his hand on me, I will set grumpiness aside, and my joy will be visible, unambiguous, contagious.

© 2006 | http://web.mac.com/jamesplong

No comments: